Sunday, December 5, 2010

Its SNOWING outside, so I would rather visualize something else!

 OK here she goes again, but considering the name of my blogsite, I decided to discuss visualization based on the movie Avatar and not opt for reality.
I sat with my sons recently and watched the movie Avatar again (which is quite rare to have moments like that), and knowing ahead of time what the topic of our blog was for this week, I found myself paying more attention to the scenenary and meaning behind certain elements of this fictional place and what was being communicated.
I have always loved nature and the peacefulness of gardening, long walks through parks and best of all waterfalls!  There are few things more serene and meaningful to me than to listen and watch a roaring waterfall in the midst of a heavily wooded area.

Funny story:  When my oldest was about 5, we went to Niagra Falls, Canada.  If anyone remembers how you walk along the sidewalk and one side are the Niagra Falls that you can see, and on the sidewalk side are the landscaped lawns of the hotels and I think homes too.  I am excited that my kids are going to get to see the Falls and go on the Maid of Mist cruise, when suddenly my son screams "wow look at that"!  And he's jumping and pointing to the little water sprinkler twirling around on the lawn! That certainly was a sign of the future as he really doesn't care about nature unless its in a video game!

Anyway, the meditation and visualization techniques used in this course are worthy of having them as a skill to use during times of stress, unhappiness, or I just want out of here moments, but you can't actually leave the scene. 
Whether it is a place or activity that is real and stands the chance of becoming a true event,I believe visualization aids in reducing stress levels, or promotes a clear thought as to how to handle a major upcoming event.
I was able to find an article discussing the "healing power of visualization", http://healing.about.com/od/visualization/a/powerofmind.htm, as the author describes it as a form of self hypnosis, and similar to what is being discussed throughout this course it describes the brain's connection to every cell in your body.  I plan to read it again and research this theory.

As for my love of the movie Avatar, I am not alone in wishing I had a "Tree of Souls" in my backyard to just look at and sit under and feel the healing powers. 
For anyone who also enjoyed the movie I found this short clip about Pandora, use it just for those I want out of here moments! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBGDmin_38E&NR=1

4 comments:

  1. Hello Debra, I myself love nature especially water. I did visit Niagara this spring and it was a wonderful experience. I stayed at the Hilton right in front of the Fall. Unparalled beauty and serenity. How about the beautiful rainbow by the water? It is surely a divine place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debra, I too enjoyed Avatar in spite of the fact I'm not a sci fi fan. But the movie has a lot of lessons. Taking the time to look and listen; being connected to all of life; and appreciating every living thing. Another lesson in a move for me was the Blind Side. I just saw it this week for the first time. What struck me was when she asked him how he turned out so good when all around him bad things were happening. He said his momma told him to close his eyes. So that is how he dealt with the bad, he closed his eyes to it. Very important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debra, I think it is great that you are able to incorporate daily activities and leisure time into your practices. There are times that I see visual artistry in movies that makes me want to travel to different locations or even decorate my home a little differently. I never imagined taking those images into my "happy place". Perhaps this would be helpful in creating that type of environment and making those kinds of trips if I am so inclined. I also wish that I had a tree of souls! I have never seen the movie, but that sounds awesome. Another entertaining and inspiring post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debra
    Looks like good things comes in three's, I too have a soft spot for the film, more to the inner massage and the way its all layed out. The mind truly is the key to what drives the body in so many ways. Looking at it as to someone had to have this in there head to bring it to the table, everything eles follow suite after that. It ood to have a picture with a little bite of love, action and on top of it a message. The key to this is from the eyes to see that message, that were the training and faith comes into play.

    ReplyDelete